Friday 28 May 2010

Somewhat Annoyed!!

I was minding my own business in the land of nod this morning when I SUDDENLY!!!! became aware that there were urgent doings happening outside. I say urgent as it was just after 7.00am so it obviously wasn't work being done on the Asda site, because - bless em - they don't start making a noise before 8.00am [apart from arriving which doesn't count].

Drrrr ... Drrrr ... Drrrr ... SqueeeeeeeeeK !! Over and over again, interspersed by lots of shouting. I launched out of bed at speed - look, I'm not explaining again how this really works regards speed, but let's just say I got to the window eventually. I was fully expecting to see men up to their knees in water [Severn Trent have been much in evidence lately], desperately trying to repair a BIG leak.

And now for the annoying bit - I couldn't believe my eyes ... The desperately urgent work was two men sawing and screwing lats onto the hoarding in the turnaround bit - which I might add has been up for over two weeks with no signs of needing this bit of decoration!


I was fuming! Now I know I'm grumpy but I don't do much in the way of moods or losing my temper, I consider it a wasted, negative emotion which only results in me having a headache, so usually I just mutter and grumble to myself and get over it.

On the rare occasion that I have 'a little moment', I've always found myself back where I started, thinking ... did that really happen? Wasn't I here the whole time and just imagined that I'd lost it for a few seconds in a ' I wish I dare go and say that to their faces' kind of way?' Then blushing to my [undyed] roots as it finally dawns on me that I was indeed that 'brave gobby person'.

Ahem, there were witnesses to my 'little moment' - namely the grumpy old man downstairs making my coffee and one neighbour laughing at me from her bed and just about to text me to see if I'm awake - ha bloody ha!

I didn't swear, when I have 'a moment' I'm unusually restrained in the bad language department. I stuck my head through the window and shouted -

 'WHY DON'T YOU MAKE A BIT MORE NOISE? I'M NOT PROPERLY AWAKE YET!' followed by 'DON'T YOU THINK WE'VE GOT ENOUGH TO PUT UP WITH ALL DAY WITHOUT YOU STARTING THIS EARLY?' See, ladylike and proper if somewhat fishwify volume-wise.

Shortly after the GOM went out and explained in much more measured tones that work doesn't normally start until 8.00am, they apologised and replied that they'd signed in and nobody told them not to start work. Do men actually need everything writing down in triplicate to make them realise that making so much noise in a big square that echo's every sound, might just wake some grumpy people up if they start so chuffing early?

Do the same men also need telling that they shouldn't just leave half a dozen unused screws on the road for the GOM to pick up [and throw back over the hoarding - I know, I didn't believe that bit myself, he usually saves screws and ... well, everything really].

If I was at all able to work out how to actually dial a number that isn't stored in the memory on my super whizzo phone [too old to do technology before coffee]. I'd have phoned the site manager and told him what I thought. Believe me, I tried. I was pressing numbers on the keypad and just kept getting 'no contacts' until I gave in.

By the time I'd finally sussed how to do it I'd completely run out of steam [and had my dinner] ... Oh yes, and to add insult to injury I'd realised [by then] that I'd been sat next to a normal plumbed in telephone, the sort with proper big numbers - maybe you can tell I just don't 'do' mornings ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, I'm very sensitive.